A very scary thing happened today. I was walking Starr when all of a sudden she had a huge bone in her mouth – which I promptly removed from her throat! The bone did not come from the ground. It was hanging, with several others, and a little meat, from a fence along the park (on Essex Street – just south the Hester Street Market entrance), which dogs walk along constantly and it really blended in to the background with all the leaves on the ground, as you can see in this quick photo I snapped with my phone.
This is very concerning as there have been cases of dogs being poisoned with laced meat placed in parks several times over past years and I can’t see any reason bones/meat would be hung there like this.
I removed the twine with a pocket knife from a passer by and put it all in a bag so that no other dog could ingest it and to possibly have it analyzed. Even if it’s not laced with anything bad, these bones could pose a danger to dogs regardless.
I contacted the ASPCA in NYC and they told me, after double checking with a supervisor that they would only investigate IF a dog ingested it AND died! A friend checked with a policeman friend and the answer was next time call 911 BUT that the response would most likely be the same as the ASPCA’s.
So for the time being we are relying on spreading the word to NYC dog owners so they can be on the alert.
Protect NYC dogs and share this.